Share Poll

Poll link

500 px
350 px
250 px

widget preview:

Width - px Height - px

Close preview
! You are using a non-supported browser Your browser version is not optimised for Toluna, we recommend that you install the latest version Upgrade
With effect from 25 May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Notice. You can read our updated version here.



  24 months ago

#TolunaNews | There Are Genetic Factors Behind People's Sensitivity Level According To Scientists

Scientists from the UK conducted a study to determine the effect of genetic differences on changes in people's sensitivity level. In the study, it was determined that 47 percent of sensitivity differences were caused by genetic differences.

A new study published this month in the journal Molecular Psychiatry focuses on measuring the ratio of sensitivity differences to characteristic sensitivity that can be explained by genetic factors. As you can understand from the subject of the research, not all of your sensitivities are related to your character.

According to the research, 47 percent of sensitivity differences are caused by genetic factors, while the remaining 53 percent is due to environmental factors. So all of the factors that make up your character determine only 53% of your overall sensitivity.

"I think the wrong thing about vulnerability is that people consider vulnerability as a weakness and a deficit," said Michael Pluess, professor of development at Queen Mary University of London, one of the researchers.

“Sensitivity has many powerful features such as awareness, empathy, more creative thinking, the ability to deeply process and think about big issues, and what's happening around us,” said Michael Pluess. The society desperately needs people with these skills.”

Scientists questioned 1,800 pairs of twins and 1,000 single twins to answer a questionnaire designed to reveal different types of sensitivity, which allows individuals to test their sensitivity to the environment.

There is an important reason why researchers do the work on twins. Twins have the basic conditions to reveal the impact of their environment and genetics on sensitivity. Because twins mostly grow under the same environmental conditions, and more importantly, identical twins have the same genes.

The results of the study reveal the great influence of genetic heritage on people's sensitivity. Genetic heritage is almost the same as environmental conditions in determining how sensitive individuals we will be.

What do you think about this news?
Do you consider yourself as sensitive?
Do you consider being sensitive is a sign of weakness?

Let us know your opinion in the comments below!
Influence your world!
Toluna Team


  24 months ago


  24 months ago
Sign of weakness

Copied to clipboard

You’re almost there

In order to create content on the community

Verify your Email / resend
No thanks, I’m just looking

We have disabled our Facebook login process. Please enter your Facebook email to receive a password creation link.
Please enter a valid Email
We're working on it...
When you upload a picture, our site looks better.